Sunday, May 22, 2011

Yoga Mat Bag

About a month ago, my husband and I planned to go to yoga the next morning when I realized that I did not have a proper zen-like bag to carry my mat. DC is pretty crazy with yoga there is a studio on every block it seems. Therefore many people are carrying this slick thin messenger style bags for their mats. I told myself, I can make that....and I did!

It was simple, I just used a tape measure and plotted out the pattern according to the size of my mat. It was just three pieces of fabric:

  • A long thin rectangle that I sewed the hotdog side together to make a tube. I did line my bag with the same fabric. I finished the top with a fancy hem. 
  • A circle slightly larger then then the rolled up base of the mat. Just like a shoulder, it took pining and darting to get this perfect. 
  • Finally the strap. This took some adjusting, it is a basic strap but I didn't know how long to make it. I first pined it in place, wore it with the mat and made adjustments. 
I struggled with how to close the top. I thought of a draw string too late, so I went with a simple ribbon tacked in the back that can gather and tie the top shut. It works for me!


I am really happy with the way it turned out. I wish I had made a pocket on the inside for keys, etc. If I make a new one, that will be the first thing done! 

The Craft of Making...yoga bags

No comments: